Medicine, Nursing and Midwifery students who are on placement at NHS organisations are eligible to request an organisation NHS Athens account.
What is an NHS Athens account?
An NHS Athens account is a username / password that will give you access to online resources that the NHS organisation has purchased, such as ejournals and databases. Whilst all NHS organisations can access content purchased nationally many organisations buy extra resources for their staff.
You may find that NHS organisations buy different resources to those available via your university login, so by maintaining both login details you can access more resources.
How do you register for an NHS Athens account?
You are eligible to request an NHS Athens account from the NHS organisation that you are on placement with:
- You need to complete the online form.
- Please use either an NHS-based email address (if you are given one) or your university email address. Personal email addresses such as gmail, Hotmail etc will be rejected.
- Make sure that you complete all the sections of the form accurately.
- You will be sent an email to activate your account and set up your password – you must complete the instructions in this email.
- Requests need to be approved by the Athens administrators. If you use an NHS-organisation-based email address you can be approved automatically. Otherwise the admin will check that you are a valid user.
Placements at different NHS organisations
If you move to a different NHS organisation for your next placement you can transfer your NHS Athens account to that organisation – see our Athens page for details about “changing your NHS organisation”.
Need more help?
Our Athens page has all the relevant information about NHS Athens. You might want to check out the section “Student Accounts Explained”.
Try our Athens Registration etutorial for step-by-step help in completing the registration form.
Read our blog entries: